DOWNLOAD A FREE BIBLE LESSON TODAY!
Jesus and the Least: Who’s First
The Black Letters of Jesus: Jesus teaches kingdom values through welcoming children.
This lesson is designed to help students examine their own hearts to discover how open they are to welcoming and valuing (with their time, energy, and attention) those whom others would consider to be the “least” in their worlds (schools, homes, groups, teams, etc.). They’ll do this by reading two passages where Jesus either welcomes children (the least) or uses them as an example of those after whom we should be modeling our faith. Students will have conversations around the idea of what it looks like to value everyone around them, including those the world tells them are the “least.”
The goal of this lesson is twofold:
- To help students understand and follow the actions of Jesus in their own lives through Bible study, hard questions, activities, and specifc life application.
- To make it easy for you to facilitate and teach students. That is why the Facilitator Guide is packed with easy-to-use instructions, timeframes, and questions that promote thinking and draw out real responses.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- A copy of the Facilitator Guide for you and any other facilitators (included for free)
- A copy of the Student Guide for each participant (included for free)
- Be sure to check out the Live It Out section ahead of time to prepare. You’ll need:
- 5-10 pennies per student (*optional: alternative currency, like M&M’s® or “paper” money)
- brown paper bag (or any container that doesn’t reveal the contents) filled with various types and sizes of candy (from a single Tootsie Roll®/Starburst® all the way up to a full-size candy bar)
This lesson is taken from The Black Letters of Jesus curriculum
What is The Black Letters of Jesus?
A lot of studies focus on Jesus’ words—the red letters of Scripture. But what would it look like if we focused on his actions—the black letters? The Black Letters of Jesus is a yearlong curriculum (52 lessons) based on what Jesus did while he was here on earth. Some themes may be familiar and some will allow students to see Jesus in a new way. These are lessons drawn from the life of the one who became flesh and lived among his creation.
The Black Letters of Jesus includes:
- 52 Lessons (divided into shorter, 4-lesson series) (PDF and Word)
- Parent Guides (with questions and suggested experiences for the whole family)
- Media and Graphics
- Video Training for Leaders
- Memory Verses (ready to share on social media)
- Marks of a Disciple
- 8 Holiday/Seasonal Lessons
*The Black Letters of Jesus was created to fit perfectly into the Deep Discipleship system (including the 8 Roots of Discipleship and Marks of a Disciple).