Leadership is a Choice
Student Leadership Training
Overall Topic: Helping students understand that being a leader is an intentional choice.
Distinctive Element: Leadership is a Choice is a downloadable, ready-to-use, lesson on a specific leadership principle. Download includes a facilitator’s guide (Word and PDF) complete with instructions, time frames, extra notes, and activities as well as a reproducible student handout (Word and PDF).
Student leadership is a rewarding and valuable journey to walk with students, but it’s not without its minefields. For example, pride and jealousy frequently twist a great opportunity for growth into a popularity contest, and many times, leadership roles aren’t stewarded the way we envisioned. These obstacles aren’t here to throw off your student’s leadership journey, they are a part of it. They are our opportunity to remind students that leadership doesn’t start with a rank or a position, it starts with a choice. Take your students through this lesson to have a discussion on what it means to choose to lead, instead of expecting it to just happen.
In this lesson, students will:
- Study Joshua’s example to discover that we either choose to follow God, or we choose not to follow him.
- Look at how a leader’s choice to lead or not to lead impacts their team.
- Discover how not making a choice can have unintended consequences.
Everything you need is included:
- Downloadable Facilitator Guide (Word and PDF)
- Downloadable Student Handout (Word and PDF)
- Biblical examples
- Debrief and discussion questions
- Experiential activity
- Practical Life Application