7 Keys to Student Leadership Development
To help youth workers, LeaderTreks has identified seven key components of a comprehensive student leadership development program. These components constitute what students need to know and be able to do to become effective Christian leaders. Please, read through the whole list, most student leadership program only focus on a few of these keys. They are all important to a well rounded program.
1. Students must have a definition of leadership and must understand the basic premise that leadership can be learned.
2. Students must understand that leadership is a set of principles that can be applied to any situation.
3. Students must understand who leaders are, what leaders need, and what leaders do.
4. Students must understand there are two sides to leadership: doing and being. Doing and being must be in balance for leadership to be effective.
5. Students must understand “self leadership.” They must have a clear understanding of their gifts, talents, and unique abilities.
6. Students must understand “team leadership.” They must have a clear understanding of how to lead followers.
7. Students must understand that leadership can change everything. They must have a clear understanding of the power of leadership.
By studying and learning these components students will have the tools to lead now. These seven building blocks will give students a strong foundation of knowledge and practice of leadership.
About the Author
Doug Franklin is the president of LeaderTreks, an innovative leadership development organization focusing on students and youth workers. Doug and his wife, Angie, live in West Chicago, Illinois. They don’t have any kids, but they have 2 dogs that think they are children. Diesel and Penelope are Weimaraners who never leave their side. Doug grew up in… Read More