Checklist for a Successful Small Group Session
Before you teach through each session, ask yourself:
- Reviewed the material sufficiently so that I can teach it confidently?
- Reflected on what God is teaching me personally in this area?
- Prayed for God’s wisdom regarding what I will teach and asked Him for insight into
my students’ lives?
- Identified my small group’s leadership strengths and areas still needing to be
- Anticipated any new developments or outcomes that might occur as a result of this
- Enthusiastic about what I am about to teach?
- Committed to being as open and honest as I want/expect my students to be?
- Ready to challenge my students out of their comfort zones to reach the next level?
- Clear about where I want to lead the group and how this session will help us get
Are my students:
- Learning what I want them to learn? Are they “getting” it?
- In the best setting/environment) to learn? (Is the room set up? Is it adequate? Do
they have the resources they need – pens, paper, etc.?)
- Growing in the areas of unity and trust regarding the team?
- Confused about anything from a prior session that I need to address?
- Excited about becoming all that God wants them to be?
About the Author
Doug Franklin is the president of LeaderTreks, an innovative leadership development organization focusing on students and youth workers. Doug and his wife, Angie, live in West Chicago, Illinois. They don’t have any kids, but they have 2 dogs that think they are children. Diesel and Penelope are Weimaraners who never leave their side. Doug grew up in… Read More